Basic country data
- Population over 60 in 2010:
- 71,931 (9%)
- Projected population over 60 in 2050:
- 176,691 (30%)
- Poverty rate of total population:
- Income of country:
- Lower middle income
- Social pension?
- Scheme information: Old Age Pension
- Year introduced:
- 1944 (first scheme introduced), 1993 (scheme became universal)
- Monthly pension benefit:
- 10000 Guyanese Dollar (50 US$)
- 18.33 % of average income
- 300 % of international poverty line
- Age of eligiblity:
- % of population over 60 covered:
- Total cost:
- 0.58% of GDP
In 2011 it was proposed to remove 17,000 people from Guyana's social pension register. Although this proposal was rejected it stirred up strong feelings amongst older people in Guyana. In this video two older people talk about why they think it's right for everyone to receive the pension.
Resources on the pension in Guyana
This 2012 budget speech, as well as reiterating the Government's commitment to the social pension, provides a brief history of the transfer.
Online news report documenting an increase in the transfer amount of Guyana's social pension.
This news report from the Government of Guyana documents an increase in the number of people recieving the social pension.
This webpage provides information on the Government of Guyana's Pensioner's Subsidy.
This Government news story includes information on the entitlements of pensioners in Guyana.