Basic country data
- Population over 60 in 2010:
- 6,766,515 (20%)
- Projected population over 60 in 2050:
- 18,431,849 (38%)
- Income of country:
- High income: OECD
- Social pension?
- Scheme information: Pension de la Securite Vieillesse (S.V.) (Old Age Security Pension)
- Year introduced:
- Monthly pension benefit:
- 540 Canadian Dollars (547 US$)
- 12.56 % of average income
- 1137 % of international poverty line
- Age of eligiblity:
- Universal (with recovery from high-income earners)
- % of population over 60 covered:
- Total cost:
- 1.58% of GDP
Resources on the pension in Canada
Webpage outlining the transfer amount of Canada's social pension
Year: 2011 | Published by: Association for Universal Pension
This programme booklet contains interesting pieces on pension schemes in various countries before focussing on the proposed universal pension in Hong Kong
Year: 2011 | Published by: OECD
Country Profile from OECD's "Pensions at a glance 2011: Retirement-income systems of OECD countries".
This Government webpage contains statistics relating to Canada's social pension.
Year: 2010 | Published by: United Nations Human Rights Council
To collect information to prepare the 2010 annual report of the independent expert on the question of human rights and extreme poverty, a questionnaire...