Basic country data
- Population over 60 in 2010:
- 4,199,477 (20%)
- Projected population over 60 in 2050:
- 11,068,532 (35%)
- Income of country:
- High income: OECD
- Social pension?
- Scheme information: Age Pension
- Year introduced:
- Monthly pension benefit:
- 1506 Australian Dollars (1558 US$)
- 27.74 % of average income
- 2521 % of international poverty line
- Age of eligiblity:
- 65 (men) 64 (women)
- % of population over 60 covered:
- Total cost:
- 2.24% of GDP
Resources on the pension in Australia
Government webpage on the Austalian social pension
This Government website outlines the eligibility criteria for Australia's social pension.
Year: 2011 | Published by: OECD
Country Profile from OECD's "Pensions at a glance 2011: Retirement-income systems of OECD countries".
Year: 2011 | Published by: Social Security Administration (SSA), International Social Security Association
This database provides information on social security programmes in Asia and the Pacific.
This publication includes information on the budget for Australia's social pension.